Monday, October 4, 2010

Another Class Project

Kirsten's latest extra point project was to make a recipe from Bangladesh. So-o-o-o-o we searched
for quite awhile to find something that we could find all the ingredients for, that was simple, & that she liked.
So with these criteria, we settled on Gulab Jamun. We Americanized it a tad bit though. I didn't find Saffron
in our local grocery store & it's my understanding that it is the world's most expensive spice. So we left it & Cardamom out of the syrup. Sorry but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Dissolving the sugar & water to make the syrup.

At first we had our oil too hot. Didn't take long for that to happen. Our temp was almost to 'flash' level.
oops

This poor attempt shows that pretty well I think.



Here's how they start out. We have one of the plates covered
with a damp paper towel to keep them moist.

You'll never guess the main ingredient in these. You may take
this moment to ponder before I give you the answer.


We're cookin'
now!!!!

May I present to you Kirsten's almost famous
Gulab Jamun about to be submerged in syrup.
And for that secret main ingredient,
It's powdered milk.
And as for the taste, they are very much like
a pancake. Pretty darn good even if I do say so myself.



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Gulab Jamun...and have actually found it tastes pretty good if you eat it with Kheer too!

    ReplyDelete