Monday, May 4, 2015

Funny Thing, Those Comments

A Reflection is defined:
 
1.
the act of reflecting or the state of being reflected

2.
something reflected or the image so produced, as by a mirror

3.
careful or long consideration or thought

So, in my careful, but not long, observation, I am not as sure about the way the visiting other blogs is monitored as it was last year. Just wasn't feeling it. But I can honestly say I myself did go above and beyond visiting others nearly every day. I felt that the days when I visited way over 5 other blogs, it was ok to not see quite as many the next. After all, I know I'm not alone in working a full-time job while performing this challenge. And half the time I would find the blog hadn't yet posted a current letter so it ended up I could cover all the letters pretty well. I'm thankful for all the visits I received and supportive comments. Thanks to the hosts and co-hosts as well for making sure I had at least one comment. You were all great this year!

But how can I prove I was there other than the comments? How can anyone else tell? Is there an unknown app that tells the hosts and co-hosts who is really visiting others? Just wondering. I wouldn't want it to be like one of my husband's sting operations from his law enforcement days, but I do wonder how many people really did their part?

I did notice that certain posts were ignored by the titles I used. I find it funny that an occasional reference to religion was met with silence. I guess it's my bad for thinking it wouldn't offend anyone. But I'm thankful for the opportunity to speak my part on the topics I chose. I'm thankful not being forced to pick a category as I was not always going to write a post with a religious or musical reference. My jump-off point usually started with the song title I chose to perform. So maybe next year if I choose to perform a song with my banjo, I'll choose that category of (MU). But maybe not. I'm not sure I would have had as many responses. The banjo is often misunderstood due to certain stigmas such as the classic movie "Deliverance". And then there's the irritation I even feel when reading a post and am expected to watch a Youtube video. Yes, I admit it.There's not always enough time.

Is there a complaint in there? Just an itty-bitty one. I admit I don't always agree with a blogger's post, but I'd at least let them know I'd dropped in to read. Just common respect for their hard work in my opinion.

The high point of my blogging happened on Day 26 with Letter Z. I was delivering my "soap box" to the world hoping to help spread awareness to anyone willing to listen to my story of Vanishing White Matter Disease (and also to ask for prayers and hope). Someone had a family member with this terminal illness who was a part of our A to Z Challenge. A disease so rare that only about 30 children in the world have this illness. I was extremely humbled to say the least. To be able to help someone else in any way, even just sharing the links to learn more about the disease, to me, was the best reward possible.

My best regards to all my blogger friends, whether you are an aspiring writer, or just the everyday Joe like myself trying to make sense of this crazy world. Hope to see you all throughout the year. I'll be around.

P.S.
I was messaged this morning on Facebook saying my Letter Z post was shared on the Find a Cure for VWM Facebook page. This A to Z thing has such a domino effect. Many thanks to the founders and those who help keep it going!



23 comments:

  1. Well, I for one like the banjo, and have never watched Deliverance. Too depressing to see how low humans can sink.

    In my own experience the first year of doing the A to Z challenge, I was disappointed in the fact that many do not visit all the blogs. I endeavoured to do so and was disappointed that many didn't reciprocate or comment. Then when the choice to categorize became available, I knew it would mean that many would ignore those which didn't fit their preference. So I just decided to enjoy it my own way, It is supposed to be fun, and not regimented. I look, I sample and I find my faves. Those who comment on my blog, I visit. When I work the challenge that way, it's enjoyable. Congrats on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Really didn't want to sound too negative as I know it's not just about the numbers. I never saw Deliverance either thankfully.

      Delete
  2. It is disappointing to visit others and not get visits in return. That's something I noticed as well. But it is not up to us to make sure that everyone else is following the challenge as requested. I know some people had other issues going on, and they might make up with visiting this coming month. I choose to believe this. Congrats on making it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess that's why it's called a Challenge :) Congrats back to you!

      Delete
  3. Even though the challenge is done, I have my own reflections to post shortly. I think my biggest fail, (now that I've been going over my past comments) is not visiting everyone who stopped in to say hi. It's something I plan to change for next year. This was my first year, so I am learning the proper etiquette. However, one thing I did do was make sure that every person who commented on my blog receive a personal response. So that was something good I did. And like you, when I stopped at a persons blog, I left my own comment. Just so they know that their work was appreciated. I think you may have been one of the few people who did stop by, but I failed to make sure I stopped back. And for that, I apologize. I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey life happens and I appreciate you stopping by when you did. Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. So, see? None of us are perfect :)

      Delete
  4. I loved the accompanying banjo music and videos. Particularly your Z post. It was moving and quite powerful. How rewarding it must be to know that you have grabbed our attention and are spreading awareness. I would imagine that did make the challenge well worth the effort. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I apologize for the delay in thanking you. I'm blaming the strep throat I'm taking drugs for :( And that Z post was so hard to write and keep my composure mainly because it's people we care so much about, but it was totally worth it.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on completing the challenge! Surely a busy but fun month:-) Im still catching up - and will always attempt to visit back those who visit my blog. I think thats a nice thing to do. Will also catch up on posts I didnt get to read - even now its May. Great to try to connect throughout the year also - and not only be April-Blog-Buddies:-) Keep writing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you as well! Sorry took so long to reply. Was down with strep throat. Occupational hazard. I'll definitely be visiting past April.

      Delete
  6. As someone participating in my first A to Z, I started by finding my blog on the list and then visiting five blogs...then the next five blogs. But what started to happen is, that, I found some blogs I really enjoyed, both from visiting the list and from paying return visits to people who had commented on my blog. Then, at some point, I just didn't visit that many new blogs anymore as my time was spent on the blogs I had already discovered. I was also disappointed (using the "next five" method) to find blogs that hadn't posted in several days. I also found several that were so poorly written, or so long, that I didn't want to wade through the entire post when there were other blogs waiting for a visit. Overall, I had a positive experience. I hope to do it again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you post this on the A to Z blog aswell? This would be great feedback for the hosts. Congratulations on finishing and thanks for reading mine😊

      Delete
    2. My smile didn't show at the end so here :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on completing the A to Z Challenge! Looking forward to next year! See you on the Road Trip!

    Mary @ www.JingleJangleJungle.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just linked up to the A to Z Roadtrip :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Stephanie,

    My apologies for not getting back sooner. The first year is always a little confusing, not everyone comments/visits back. I for my part always try to return visits/follows and catch up, though sometimes I do that after the event is over. Congrats to you on completing the challenge and look forward to your regular posts.

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.

    Madly-in-Verse


    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping in :) Catching up is something I am always trying to improve on, especially housework. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it odd how some posts are so popular, and others seem to just fall flat? I still have a hard time guessing what people will enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If someone has a song or other YouTube video in their post, I usually add it to Watch Later on my account. I don't have anything against banjo music (though I've never seen Deliverance, so that might have something to do with it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to have a list for later. There were lots of videos on this years challenge. And in the movie, it's not just a banjo playing Dueling Banjos and most people forget that.Just throwing that out there :)

      Delete
  12. Hello there.
    Congratulations on completing the challenge! I actually got to visit your blog during April. Just popping over again today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete