Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Music of the Night



In the words of Stevie Wonder, "Music is a world within itself with a Language we all Understand."

"Music can change the world because it can change people." --Bono

How many times do you remember a concert filled with lit candles, everyone swaying to a well-known song? The air is electric, the differences between people melt away. It's both a healing and a miracle.
I wonder what happens to the brain in these moments?
Is the section that gets angry shut down? Is it disabled?  I'd bet so.

When a baby cries around here and I'm elbow deep in a sink of dishes, I'll ask one of my older children to "go sing to the baby". I guarantee that 9 out of 10 times the crying stops and two things happen:
1st: the eldest child feels empowered and empathetic.
2nd: the baby finds peace.
It soon becomes a perfect celebration of joy and life.

Music matters to all ages and stages of life. Pete Seeger, a well-known banjo player/singer, was indeed a pioneer in using music for change. Words stamped on his personal banjo said:

"This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender"

I hope you'll play more music in whatever form you enjoy and help bring peace in the world.

Check out some other A to Z blogs Here

5 comments: