Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Silly Bill




My dad was Bill. Not silly by any means, but always welcomed wherever he went. Talk about big shoes to fill.
Simply put, I. Was. Shy.
And things kept me from growing out of that stage as time progressed.

One of the biggest was my constant knee injuries. Everyone had a cure for me other than actual surgery. The suggestion I got from all experts was doing those "fabulous" leg lift exercises. We used items from canned vegies to sand bag weights. Ug. Still hate them and still suggested by my doctors when the legs give me trouble. Finally had my first surgery at age 24. My first knee dislocation was at age 9. You do the math if ya want.

After the knee issue came the silver caps on my two top front teeth. Yep, right there front and center. I was playing tag in our school gym and met up with a brick wall, my teeth being the center point of gravity. They did not survive, naturally. So for a few years, I was blessed with those shiny, obnoxious, dreaded caps. I rarely smiled for photos and limited my talking to strangers. I wonder how many polaroids exist of m silver teeth? I bet not one.

So since becoming a childcare provider, the one thing I have always been partial to is the shy kids, the ones with delays, just waiting for the skies to open up.

To young mothers out there, I'd like to tell you to let your children be the wall flowers, but take them to the social events. Give them a hobby they can excel in. Never shame them. Be a role model.

Yes, my dad was awesome! Thanks Bill Randall!

Check out some other A to Z blogs Here

13 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate, I was also really shy. Just strangers *looking* at me was cause for distress. And my older brother (accidentally) knocked out my front teeth. Luckily, they were baby teeth so they grew back.

    Really nice video of your family, thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. There's so much more info for children these days thank goodness. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shy, yep me too. So painful, isn’t it? I love the banjo music. Really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized public speaking will never be my forte' & that's fine with me lol Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I was a shy child, am still a shy adult. I wish you'd been around to tell my parents there was nothing wrong with me, lol... its tough walking into a room and feeling like everyone else is speaking a foreign language. People don't need to make it tougher.@Get Lost in Lit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess we are here to spread the word? I appreciate your comments and big hug to you!

      Delete
  5. Visiting from A/Z; great advice you gave to parents who might have shy children, especially to find something they excel in because mostly everyone has at least one thing they are great at!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! I have had over 150 children in my care since 1995 and that is such a true statement on everyone having a talent. I firmly believe that!

      Delete
  6. I've was shy as a young child. Say up to about age 9. But I got over it. Mostly, I just don't have a clue as to what to say to someone I don't know yet. Nice family photos!
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the visit and comments :) and I'll be stopping by your pages later.

      Delete
  7. In 8th grade we took vocational aptitude tests. Mine suggested I get a job fixing cars. I'm surprised it didn't come back saying I should be a hermit. Basically I hated being around people. Now, just the opposite. Life is funny that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth! I waited tables right out of high school and really enjoyed the people. I truthfully think I was able to keep that pen and order pad as my security blanket. *chuckle
      Thank you so much for not becoming a hermit :)

      Delete
  8. In 8th grade we took vocational aptitude tests. Mine suggested I get a job fixing cars. I'm surprised it didn't come back saying I should be a hermit. Basically I hated being around people. Now, just the opposite. Life is funny that way.

    ReplyDelete